Tisha B’Av Quotes
The date of Tisha b’Av on the Jewish calendar this year is August 3rd, 2006 the Ninth Day of Av (Tisha B’Av) – AV – is the eleventh month of the Jewish year.
The Ninth Day of Av or Tisha B’Av solemnizes the destruction of the Temple, the destruction of Jewish national infrastructure, a 2,000 year exile with a full day of fasting.
On Tisha B’Av a series of major Jewish calamities took place over many centuries.
- The Golden Calf in 1312 BC
- The failure of the “Ten Spies”
- The destruction of the First Temple in 586 BC
- The destruction of the Second Temple in 70 AD
- The crashing of the Bar Kokhba Rebellion in 135 AD
- The pogroms of the First Crusade in 1096
- The expulsion of the Jews from Britain in 1290
- The expulsion of the Jews from Spain in 1492
- The eruption of WWI in 1914
- The end of the Warsaw Ghetto Uprising in May 1943
“Jewish tradition states that the Messiah will appear on Tisha B’Av, and the day of mourning will become a national day of rejoicing with the rebuilt Temple”
– (Ready to Rebuild, Thomas Ice and Randall Price; p 213).
“Tisha B’Av, the Jewish fast that commemorates the destruction of the Holy Temples in Jerusalem as well as other tragedies of Jewish history, will take on a special poignancy this year. For not only has the Temple not been rebuilt and does the Messiah still tarry, but the Jewish People in the Jewish Land are under siege by enemies consumed with hatred and seemingly unfettered by any sense of the holiness of human life.”
– Rabbi Avi Shafran source